Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Chicago forth~

Some of you already know. I will be starting school this fall at the University of Chicago Law School! I'm extremely excited!

My "Journey to Law School" is almost complete. Once I begin school this fall, I will have to think about what to do with this blog (e.g. continue writing under another blog-title, start an entirely new blog, etc.).

Right now I'm packed up to the neck with LSAT teaching/tutoring, trying to make as much money before starting law school. Yet I'm torn. Making money is making money, I'll be doing that for the rest of my life. Not knowing what to do with months of leisure time, however, is something that comes once in a blue-moon. The only other time I felt this care-free, "I can do whatever I want," freedom was right after high-school graduation, but before starting college. That summer I spent all my money traveling around the world.

A part of me yearns to do something like that again. Yet another part of me is holding me down. It seems wiser to cut back on the amount of law school loans I take out by earning more money. Teaching LSAT full-time over the summer can earn me up to anywhere between $13,500-$22,500. That's a lot of money~

6 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Blogger Lise Johnston said...

No, that's not a lot of money when you think about lost opportunity. Say you're a corporate lawyer, to take that much time off when you're practicing would cost you how much? At this time in your life, the lost opportunity is time, time is limited and something you won't have very much of for the next three years. Don't get sucked into the money trap, have fun, TRAVEL, you'll never regret it.

 
At 11:50 AM , Blogger Lise Johnston said...

Oh, and congrats on University of Chicago!

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger waiting-to-exhale said...

Hi, I am an undergrad at a public university in central PA. I have possibly unrealistic expectations of getting admitted into a high ranking law school. I just wanted to say that I love your blog and find it to be particularly valuable to me. Please don't stop writing when you enter law school. I know that you will be busier than you ever have been, but maybe on those nights when procrastination sets in- like it is for me right now (I should be studying for finals), you will write about your 1L experiences. By the way, congrats on being courted by pratically every top tier school and I think that U. of Chicago was a wise choice! Good luck!

 
At 12:06 AM , Blogger Zach Warren said...

Having just finished my 1L year at the University of Florida School of Law, I'll offer you this unsolicited advice: take some time off. I offer this advice for a few different reasons (most of which I'm sure you have heard, such as "when can you do this again?", etc.) but, primarily, because of a reason which I had not anticipated before beginning law school.

As I'm sure you're aware, a lot of your opportunities for summer associateships and post-graduate employment depend on your 1L performance. Very few people can rely solely on their intellect to succeed - since everyone was necessarily at the top of their undergrad class to be accepted - and will ultimately come down to your ability to (oftentimes grudgingly) engage in sustained and LENGTHY study. Coming in with a clear head will serve you well to this end.

So, my advice: take some time to clear your head and make sure that you are ready for this kind of commitment. Travel around, enjoy being outside, recharge your batteries after graduation. Best of luck and congrats on your acceptance.

 
At 10:58 AM , Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

Another point, would teaching LSAT for the fall exam put restrictions on when you would be free to move to Chicago (I know you guys start late but I can't remember how late)? I definitely think it's in your best interest to get to town with plenty of time to find your bearings.

 
At 11:57 AM , Blogger Lise Johnston said...

And don't forget that having extra time to look for an apartment might pay off. I know that a lot of places are available and then gone within like 2-3 days in Chicago so you'll have to be willing to commit to a place on short notice to get a great deal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home