Friday, January 26, 2007

Type faster lest you fail!

Adrain Z. sued University of Michigan Law School for unfairly discriminating against his slow-typing speed.

While I don't condone Adrain Z's complaint (mainly because there is always the tried and true method called, "Pen and Paper"), I can remotely understand his trouble and frustration.

To be honest, it is quite disconcerting whenever I visit a 1L class and witness the madness ontop keyboards. During my visit to Northwestern University Law School, I witnessed a student in her property class-lecture taking down notes (of every single word uttered by her professor). What's amazing is that she did this while chatting with three different people on AIM. She was soooo fast. While I could barely retain and keep-up with the lecture, here she was cooly chatting with three different people at the super-speed of lightening.
Her typing speed enabled her to multi-task like none other.


This observation along with Adrain Z's lawsuit has me asking another question: is it a good idea for anyone to be attempting to type a professor's every word? Wouldn't it be more beneficial, especially for people who type slower, to forgo the frustrations of taking down every word and instead focus on simply understanding the lecture?

3 Comments:

At 6:00 PM , Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

I got my highest grade last semester using the following experiment: I didn't bring my laptop to class and I didn't take handwritten notes. I just listened.

But you're right, most of the law students I know are of the type-every-word-the-prof-says variety.

 
At 1:16 AM , Blogger Mystery said...

I'm definitely going to try this method. I'll let you know how it turns out. =)

 
At 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might find this article interesting:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/06/AR2007040601544.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home