Thursday, May 10, 2007

Timing the Beast!

Lately, I've been getting a lot of questions regarding timing. Running against the clock can be quite stressful and my LSAT students are freaking out.

Whenever I get a, "I can't think straight when I think I'm running out of time," I give students the following analogy:
When you start learning how to swim, you learn, first and foremost, the proper forms and techniques (e.g. how to float, kick, stroke and breathe). You don't worry about how fast you can get from one side of the pool to the other side. LSAT is like swimming. Who cares if the national standard is to finish in 35-minutes; first learn the proper forms and techniques, then we'll worry about speed.

There's a Korean proverb that says, "If you try to catch two rabbits at once, you'll lose both." If you are still struggling with specific logical reasoning questions, games sections and reading comp passages, then don't try to improve both accuracy and speed at the same time cause you'll end up frustrating yourself more. Learn how to attack each question and fix your flaws before rushing.

2 Comments:

At 2:52 PM , Blogger Lise Johnston said...

Keep the tips coming! For some of this, it's not over yet.

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger waiting-to-exhale said...

Good advice! That's how I have been approaching it. I have a month now after finals to devote to studying and I am planning on studying 5-8 hours each day Monday through Friday til June 11th. That will give me a grand total of around 80 to 100 hours. I hopes its enough. I will be VERY VERY broke only working weekends. Good luck everybody!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home