Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Pond or the Ocean~

Right now I am in Chicago. My travel mate has been complaining for the past 4 hours about the blistering cold. But honestly, compared to the cold winters in Siberia, Chicago really ain't that bad. I like the brisk wind and bundled coats.

Every person, deep inside, is adventurous. We seek the unknown and the different. Yet every person is also risk adverse. We do not want to venture too far from the familiar and the established ways (I'm speaking so vaguely on purpose). It is this tug-a-war between the yin and the yang of our hearts that drive our life choices/decisions.

I find this tug-a-war especially tense within soon-to-be law students (for example, to leave my home state or not?).

I've heard the advice that unless admitted to a first-tier law school, students shouldn't venture far from the region they want to spread their roots. I agree....sorta.

For the past two-years, while traveling throughout various parts of the world, I've learned that there are two things people (of ripe old age) wish they could have done more: 1) read more good books; 2) see new places.

While law school really isn't a place to fulfill the second of these two desires, I am a fan of venturing far from home and experiencing the new - swimming out of my pond and into the ocean.

When choosing your list of law schools, I dare you to flirt with the idea of moving out to the unknown.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 AM , Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

right, but swimming out of one's pond shouldn't mean freezing to death ;) that was my line of thinking.

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger Mystery said...

Couldn't agree with you more. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home