Friday, February 16, 2007

Visiting Law Schools: UCLA

First impression: the main building looks great coming from south (looking towards north). The bold-blocked imposing words, "School of Law," labeled in front was definitely impressive (I know, I know...I'm easily impressed).

Unfortunately, it seemed that many law students don't really use this entrance. Most were gathered at the minature-outdoor-square area between Dodd Hall and the Law Building. Due to Southern California's remarkable weather, socializing, studying, chit-chatting and eating in this area seemed to be the norm.

I had to search a bit to find the admissions office, located in Dodd Hall (building next door to the Law Building). Boy, the interior of Dodd Hall, not as impressive as the exterior. The halls (where the admission office and career service office is located) were lined with lockers on both sides of the wall - screaming scary images of underfunded public high schools back into my memory.

Rob Schwartz, Dean of Admissions, is perhaps one of the most friendly and genuinely nice person I have met. He recommended several classes (based on students' referrals), but was quick to admit that he's new to the school, and thus unaware of which classes are winners. No power-trip from this guy. He'll give you straight-up, good and honest answers. On a side note, his current staff is extremely helpful (unlike the previous staff....I had bad experience with the previous staff).

I declined the law school tour and decided to do my own tour. Based on my impression/experience, I'll start listing the "positives" first, and then the "negatives":

Positives
-The facilities designed for UCLA's Clinical Program is absolutely state-of-the-art. See through windowed-walls, cameras, computers, semi-courtrooms, and microphones.... you name it and they've equipped it. Supposedly UCLA pioneered clinical education.
-Library is amazing! The very top floor (sunlight pours through all sides) is absolutely stunning. Security is extremely tight - no undergrads allowed.
-Students were really cool, laid-back and interesting. Current students' attitude towards prospective students can range from anywhere between cold and overtly welcoming - one can discern quite a bit about a law school's tension level based on this. Despite their priority (studying) 100% of the students I stopped (56 students) were willing to answer my questions (and beyond).
-Easy access to EVERYTHING. UCLA law benefits from the undergrad population's consumer demands.
-Generally warm and sunny weather. Students were walking around in sunglasses, sandles and shorts in February!
-Federal Income Tax Law class was (contrary to my expectation) extremely fascinating. The professor's general charisma (Prof. Steven Bank) probably had a lot to do with it.
-Grading system changed to 20-70-10, which means 20% get A's, 70% get B's and 10% get C's.
-Students can join journals during their 1L year.

Negatives
-Dreary interior design. The men's room resembled something from a 20's movie.
-Undergrads trickle in-and-out of the law school building. This can be distracting especially when they have their ipods leaking blasting music through the earphone.
-Faculty offices are sorta detached. I knocked on several professors' closed doors (just to see if I can drop in a few questions), most weren't in. The one's that were in were kind enough to entertain my questions.
-Lack of diversity. The vast majority of students were either Caucasian or Asian.
-I personally didn't like the trees planted in the area. Smelled kinda funny.

This is all in hindsight. If I recall or remember anymore, I will attach edits.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM , Blogger Lise Johnston said...

Hey David, what kind of questions do you ask when you visit law schools? I'm about to start my own tour and was hoping you might have some suggestions.

 
At 5:09 PM , Blogger Mystery said...

Hey lisetiffner,

If you could please e-mail me at prayerbomb@gmail.com, I'll list off several questions that I typically ask.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home