Thursday, May 17, 2007

More options for law students

This morning I found myself grinning at my computer screen. "Uncle Sam Wants You (and Will Pay Off Your Loans)!"

According to this Wall Street Journal article, Congress has voted to pay off $60,000 for lawyers who work in the public defender's office or the prosecutor's office for 3+ years. I think this is a sexy deal!

Though it does not completely bridge the $$$ gap between private and public sector legal jobs, it does ease up (quite significantly) the burden that many law graduates feel when pursuing public sector jobs with loads of loans.

I wish, though unlikely, Congress will increase the amount ($60,000) at a rate consistent with law school tuition inflation.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM , Blogger Lise Johnston said...

Wow, that's awesome. Now public interest isn't confined to those with trust funds or good LRAP programs.

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Mystery said...

=) Though it doesn't completely solve the problem, it's a step in the right direction.

It's nice to see that you're excited about it. Thus far, I've seen one too many skepticism.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home