Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Visiting Law Schools: Columbia (1st visit)

I'm about to make a horrible analogy: visiting law schools can be like watching a movie - if you go into it hyped and expecting too much, you return disappointed because it didn't meet your expectation. Columbia Law School (CLS) was such.

Nevertheless, it's a great school and there's no denying that.

The following visit took place in February 2006.

I stayed with my friend who attends Columbia University's Teachers College, which happened to be quite close to CLS (a block away). I woke up bright and early (7:00a.m.) to snoop around the law school. But I soon found that 7:00a.m. is too early, even for NYC. No one besides the janitor was in Jerome L. Green Hall (the main law building).

I accessed it by crossing the bridge, which connects Columbia University's main campus with CLS. The small rectangular-grassed area on the bridge and the general scenary looked so much nicer on the internet. Just about the only thing that captured my eyes was the large-black hideous "horse-on-fire" statue attached to the face of the law school building.

I was able to interview 17 students, 2 administrators, 3 faculty and 1 janitor. And I was able to slip in a wave and a "Hello" to Dean Schizer.

First impression of the student body: smart bunch, but too money driven. For example, I asked a 2L how he likes Columbia Law, and he responded: "Man, law school everywhere bites. It's a lot of boring and mindless work. But who gives? Coming out of Columbia you'll make big bucks no matter what!" He said it as if I was supposed to be impressed; but I wasn't.

The next student I interviewed was much better. She was very laid back....almost too laid back. I asked her what she likes most about Columbia: "Well, it's nice to be in the city." She was a 1L, and she didn't seem to be stressing; this was a huge relief.

I had the privilege of sitting in on Professor Waldron's class, "Law and Philosophy." This was his final semester at CLS before leaving for NYU (I found this out on the day of my visit. It's a shame because he was very good). His lecture spoke of Richard Posner and Ronald Dworkin's different philosophies on the analysis of law. As a neophyte to the various competing legal schools of thought, I found Prof. Waldron's topic of discussion fascinating.

His class was in Warren Hall, the building next door to Greene Hall. After class I stopped a student walking out of the same class. He happened to be a 1L international student from Asia. I asked him about Columbia and he said: "It's the best. We're in the best city and I take advantage of it every weekend!"

Another 1L who heard us conversing jumped into the conversation: "You liar! You go out everynight." She said this with a friendly shoulder bump to the other 1L.

I asked how the academic scene was and, in short, they responded: "You work hard if you want. But you manage a "B" without killing yourself."

I asked about the faculty, and one of them responded: "Let me tell you a funny story. I participated in moot court, and the judge was like, 'Good job, I wouldn't have been able to do that half as well as you did in English in Chinese.' I was like, 'What the f***, I'm not Chinese!' Yeah, anyhow, the professors are cool. There are a few that can bore you to death, but overall teachers are good."

Faculty offices are mostly located on the upper levels of Greene Hall. I casually walked pass several faculty office doors. One door was slightly open. A professor was in there eating lunch. His eyes met mine, so he invited me in. He was the director of Columbia's Center for **** Legal Studies. He and I had a long and extended conversation about life as a lawyer, marriage, children, travel and authentic ethnic dishes.

I asked him how students can get involved in the Center for **** Legal Studies. He said: "Students don't really get involved. They may be interested in helping out, but these centers are more for scholars and faculty exchange. Students are too busy with their work anyways. A better way to get international exposure is internships during the summer."
At that moment I couldn't help but feel duped. Columbia Law is supposed to be one of the top schools for international law, but in essence this professor was telling me upfront that students don't really "study" international law at Columbia.

I ran over to Warren Hall to speak with the head of the **** Legal Studies Centers and confirmed that foreign law exposure happens not during the normal school semester, but during summer internships or through exchange programs. This to me seemed more like another undergrad study abroad experience than a chance to deeply study another country's legal system and codes.

I ended my day of flying around to different classes and interviewing various people with a final stop at the admissions office. The lady at the front desk was mildly rude. Perhaps it was because I caught her at the tail-end of her day, but honestly, I was a bit taken aback that someone at the admissions office could afford to be rude to a prospective student. The following conversation ensued:

Me: Hello, I'm a prospective student, are there any campus tours available?
Admissions: We have no law school tours. All tours are self-guided. [She looked annoyed]
Me: Oh....uh...sorry, didn't know. Is it possible to meet with one of the admissions officers?
Admissions: No. ["No duh" look]
Me: Okay. Thanks for your time.

I was afraid to ask anymore questions. She never smiled; not even a smirk.

I was disappointed that CLS students viewed law school not so much as an experience, but more as an ordeal. Faculty was awesome, but distant (with the exception of that one professor I met). Facilities....eh...could be better. Food in Greene Hall, not too good. Social scene was very clique oriented (i.e. colored students didn't really mingle with the white students).

So this was my CLS experience. I've been invited to admitted students weekend, so I'll visit one more time. Hopefully, the second visit will be better than my first.

EDIT:
This post is already all over the place, so might as well, at the expense of adding to the mess, I add my list of "positives" and "negatives."

Positives:
- New York City's easy access to great social scenes.
- Student's seemed happy and laid back
- Great classes on so many topics
- Good representation/mix of international students, students of color, etc.

Negatives:
- Students seemed to lack genuine bona fide interest in law
- Beyond classroom interaction, facutly seemed detached and busy
- Architecture and aesthetic design of the buildings sub-par to the rest of the city + campus.
- That odd New York City sewer smell was pervasive
- Majority of students very much divided along racial/ethnic lines

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home