Friday, June 15, 2007

Why law school?

I frequently ask my LSAT students, "Why law school?" Of course, as expected, the answers are as eclectic as the bunch. It's, moreover, a great way for me to measure and reflect on my own motive and purpose for going to law school.

"I love to argue and debate." This one always amuses me. I suspect that it's because I can reply with Robert Miller's quote from, Law School Confidential, "You're better off getting married." (I'm such a geek).

How can I leave out the embittered paralegals, whom after decades of being used and abused, finally muster up the courage and time to study for the LSAT. They want the authority and money their boss' possess. "I do all the work, but he takes all the pay!"

There's always that one person who spits back: "I'm doing it for the money."

And the do goody-goods: "I want to change the world."

But I think my all time favorite response was from a blonde female student: "because there were more lawyer jokes then blonde jokes." This one had me going for a while.

"I wanted to go to law school eversince...." The natural step after elementary school was middle school. The next logical step after that was high school. And after that it was college. After college, however, people panic. A substantial number of these people cling to law school because they see it as a "smooth transition" between college and the real-world. Around 50% of my LSAT students are typically of this background.

I am not in any position to make a judgment call on any of the above responses. But my general opinion is that most people have clouded reasons for going to law school.

Last night I watched the film Patch Adams with my youngest brother. It wasn't about lawyers or law school, but it really made me think how important it is for a person to have a clear vision and reason for wanting to attend law school. Knowing your starting point and ending point simply makes you a more efficient and happy human being.

7 Comments:

At 12:21 PM , Blogger Lise Johnston said...

So David, why law school?

 
At 1:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the blonde student said, "because there were more lawyer jokes then blonde jokes"

 
At 2:17 AM , Blogger Mystery said...

=) lisetiffner, i'll e-mail you later.

 
At 2:17 AM , Blogger Mystery said...

Hey C!

You're absolutely right! That's exactly what you said. Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and edit. Hope all is well for ya'!

 
At 11:07 AM , Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

In my last class I got the following:

"I'm going to law school because I need to make enough money to support my designer purse habit."

 
At 4:24 PM , Blogger Mystery said...

Was your student being serious? =D

If so, that definitely takes the prize.

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

Yup and I have to say that I admire her honesty!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home