Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The power of a law school t-shirt

I haven't even started law school, but I've already witnessed, first-hand, the crippling effect a "prestigious" law degree has upon those who think way too highly of lawyers (or to-be-lawyers).

I went to Blockbuster to rent "Dreamgirls" and "Adaptation."After waiting in line for some time, I finally got to the cash-register and handed the Blockbuster employee my membership card.

"Sir, your Blockbuster Rewards is due to cancel next week. Would you like to renew it right now?"
"What? I just started this program last week."
"No sir, it says right here that you are due to cancel next week." He sounded agitated.

At this point, I stepped back puzzled; trying to figure out if this guy was pulling my leg or actually being serious. Just as I was about to ask for his supervisor, I noticed his eyes widen.

"You're in law school?"
"Uh....yeah."
"I see...(awkward silence)...ummm...let me write a comment here, cause there has clearly been a mistake. I'm sorry about the trouble." He was cordial.

My jaw literally dropped at his sudden change in tone and attitude. When I momentarily stepped back, he saw my t-shirt that had "Law School" written in big bold letters over my chest area.

Sad, ain't it?

4 Comments:

At 10:10 PM , Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

hmmmm... my law school tshirt must be defective: it lacks said magical powers! that or only the T6 are cool enough for super powers :)

hope your summer is going well! did you end up starting another round of LSAT classes?

 
At 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prepare for more similar experiences. People tend to believe that us Law Students have the mystical powers of the law under our very control.

The reality is that we don't know squat about the law.

 
At 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, does it say Harvard or Chicago?

 
At 10:52 PM , Blogger A. Marigold said...

Seriously? You're not kidding? Law students are intimidating? Pardon, I mean, their t-shirts are intimidating?

I am picking up a law school t-shirt immediately.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home