Sunday, August 19, 2007

Calm before the Storm

It really feels that way. As my summer approaches an end and as I twiddle my thumbs waiting for law school to begin, I'm thinking, "It's quiet...a little too quiet." My friends that are starting law school this year have already started their orientation.

Thanks to UChicago's quarter system, for me, law school doesn't start for another month.

Sitting here thinking about how I can use my time more productively, I began flirting with the idea of taking the GMAT. Actually, on-and-off, I have thought about getting an MBA in the past. But only today was I serious enough to get onto MBA.com and find out more about the test.

I'm tempted to jump on board the JD/MBA boat. Any thoughts or recommendations on how to go about studying for this while a 1L?

I move to Chicago in about two weeks. I'll be blogging more consistently (I know I will), once I arrive at law school.

Meanwhile, my apologies for the long hiatus. It was summer. I was busy at the beach. =)

4 Comments:

At 6:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I've heard from the joint degree students at my school... doing the JD/MBA thing is kind of a waste of time and money.

Do one or the other... in most cases it won't actually make you more marketable... just allows you to stay in the academic coocoon and rack up more debt for another year.

But that's just my 2 cents.

 
At 6:44 PM , Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

Some thoughts...

many a law firm will give you a bonus or one year credit towards the partnership track if you end up as a JD/MBA that goes to a firm. depending on your scholarship situation, you may or may not still end up in the hole.

i also think (clearly i am biased) that there are plenty of reasons that the joint degree is worthwhile. of course, i will be reflecting on it all on my blog as things develop.

as for the GMAT. from one LSAT teacher to another, the GMAT is a frickin' cake walk. i was able to hit 99th percentile on the first shot. if you'll need any prep, it will be a brush up for the quant section. take the test as soon as possible though... you don't want to be dealing with it during 1L.

 
At 12:23 AM , Blogger M said...

I've played with the idea for the past few months, esp. because Chicago has a good business school as well as law school. In my situation, I doubt it'll help me enough to justify the extra year and expense. With your work experience, though, it might be worth looking into over the next year, for you. We should definitely talk more about this when we get to school!

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger Mystery said...

Thanks for your inputs. This is definitely worth mulling over. =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home