Saturday, November 17, 2007

Finals

The quarter system works well for me. Although it feels like the school term is ending just as I'm getting into the full-swing of things, Chicago is gentle to us 1Ls: we only have two final exams this quarter - Elements of the Law and Civil Procedure.

Elements of the Law is an absolute wonder. I'm taking this class with Prof. David Strauss. He's a gentle intellectual giant teaching us to think big and deep. So what does this exactly mean? Well, it's sort of a Chicago tradition, an intellectual boot-camp. Prof. Strauss would ask a student, for example, to argue against protecting sexual harassment...argue AGAINST protecting sexual harassment (this is actually more difficult than you think). He may even ask a student to make the best argument for keeping segregation intact. =) Eventually, we are asked to take the opposing side and break down the argument we just built up. I love this class. Too bad it's only one quarter long.

Civ Pro....ugh...I guess I'm just not a Civ Pro kind of guy. Ask me how much I like it after 3 weeks. I have yet to grasp this subject adequately to go in and take the final exam.

1 Comments:

At 7:35 PM , Blogger JC said...

"I have yet to grasp this subject adequately to go in and take the final exam."

This is normal, anyone who thinks they understand it is lying.

GOOD LUCK!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home